Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 21 & on the road to recovery

Day 21 & back in the gym…….thank our dear lord.  Of course, no cardio, but it does feel amazing to be back and active.  It looks like I will be on short term disability for a total of seven weeks.  My company has been fully supportive of my recovery and for this ~ I’m truly humbled.   My official physical therapy starts next Monday and should continue 3-4x a week until I regain fully functionality of my foot. 

Here is the boot my orthopedic surgeon sent me home in. 


Here is my incision and it is healing nicely!

As far as range of motion……..  I believe I have 15% total range of motion in my right foot.  Range of motion by my definition: ability to point foot down, pull foot all the way up and turn my foot out to the side.  This is amazing considering my cast was removed six days ago.
 I can take the boot off if Im stationary, showering & sleeping.  Oh the joy of sleeping on my stomach!  Also, I realize just how much I was compensating for the instability in my ankle.  I don’t have the ankle  pain I had in the past from the instability, but I am having heel pain.  Is it the boot? trauma from three surgeries in eight months? ………who knows ~ but I will overcome this and make a full recovery!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    Thanks for your story. I was searching for information about a total rupture and found your blog. Last week I heard I've a total rupture of the peroneus brevis. So far the doctor could see the longus is intact so a littleddifferent than your story but the operation and recovery afterwards will be the same, although we don't have/use your great SF boot in the Netherlands ;-)
    How is your ankle at this moment? Are you back at work again? I really hope you're well and your ankle is good shape after all the surgery.

    All the best!

    Regards,

    Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chantal! Sorry for the delayed response. My ankle is doing well and the best decision I made was to have it repaired. Honestly, my injury was so debilitating ~ it had a significant impact on my quality of life. I am five months out of my surgery and have returned back to work and the gym.

    While the boot I had during recovery protected my incision, it caused other nuiances with my back. I would say that Im 90% healed though my ankle will never be like God made it. Please let me know if you have any questions about the surgery and recovery.

    Wishing you the very best!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so relieved to find your blog as I am scheduled to have surgery for a fully ruptured (and retracted) peroneus longus along with a partial torn brevis. There is so little on the Internet for ruptured longus's other than it is so uncommon! I have concerns about the surgeon I have performing the surgery. We are military and I keep hearing what a great learning opportunity this will be. It is freaking me out. I don't know if you still receive notifications for this blog but I would love to know how you have recovered and any other info you learned about this rare injury.

    Hoping to hear from you. 😊

    Meagan

    ReplyDelete